Scholarships help Marines take care of business

12 Sep 2013 | Lance Cpl. Brendan Roethel

In the military, service members can take advantage of Military Tuition Assistance, which can pay up to 100 percent of tuition expenses. Many apply for scholarships and grants to help cover other expenses such as books, special courses and other much needed tools and supplies costing up to $3,000. 

“When asked why they don’t apply to school, Marines often say that even with tuition assistance the cost still mounts up,” said David Ellard, the Tri-Command education service officer. “Whether they can’t afford to pay for books, get a laptop, or pay for classes which might exceed the $250 per semester hour limit, scholarships are the best way to attack other school costs.”

When applying to schools, the Education Office directs Marines to apply for the Pell Grant and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. 

Marines with grants and scholarships in conjunction with TA can receive a stipend  to cover additional costs.

Although applying for scholarships and grants can take up time, the hard work can really help Marines out in the long run, Ellard said.

“This semester I applied to schools without applying for scholarships,” said Lance Cpl. Ariana Hudzinski, an aviation ordnance technician for Station Ordnance, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron. “As I began purchasing my books and buying other school supplies I noticed how expensive going back to school was going to be. I asked around and learned from other Marines that applying for scholarships and grants would save me much needed money next semester, which I can use for either personal items or school supplies. I highly encourage Marines to learn from me and take out the time to apply for scholarships.”

The decision for Marines to further their education while still in the Corps is one that should not be taken lightly. From deciding on a major to which school to attend, there are many decisions to be made. Deciding to apply for a scholarship is just as important. 

For more information visit the Education Office or